Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Saving Canada (A People's History)



A couple of weeks ago I was asked to sign a letter urging the CBC to save the documentary "Canada: A People's History" from being discarded over some unexplained rights-licensing issue. When filmmaker elephants battle, it's rarely us in the grass who have much at stake, so I hesitated. But with a little more information about the licensing matter, I accepted that the point seemed valid and offered my support, for what it was worth.

The battle is now going public, as in this opinion piece in the Globe and Mail

I had no significant role in the making of the film, and no doubt a 2020s version would look quite different, but I support its availability because I remember the enthusiasm it kindled in my then adolescent children when it was first broadcast a couple of decades ago.  

Thoughts?    

 
Follow @CmedMoore