Tuesday, September 03, 2024

Historians at the Royal Society of Canada

RSC crest
On Twittex, Alan MacEachern salutes historians newly appointed (elected?) to the Royal Society of Canada:  Clio Carstairs, Cynthia Comacchio, David Howes, Mark McGowan, Jim Phillips, Lisa Rankin, Jonathan Livernois, and Heidi Tworek. I might add the writer Lawrence Hill. 

It occurs to me I  know hardly anything about the Royal Society of Canada or what it does these days. It been around for 150 years or so, and it used to publish some notable scholarly journals -- might it still? It gives quite a few prizes, apparently, none of which I seem to have followed in my Prize Watch items here. 

In these name-changing times, could they not come up with a less cringy name for it? It makes me think of another honour I recently heard mention of, about which I am really dubious: The King Charles III Coronation Medal of Canada. I would think Conrad Black would be about the only appropriate "Canadian" honoree for that one.  

But some of these historians now entitled to style themselves FRSC are friends of mine and I recognize most of the others.  They seem like historians worthy of honours -- so congratulations to them.  

 
Follow @CmedMoore