Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Life in History: Shirley Tillotson

One of the things that helps convince me a Canadian Historical Review subscription is worth the expense is its ongoing series "A Life in History" in which historians are invited to reflect on the history of their own careers. The latest, currently available as a pre-publication advance view online (paywalled, bien sûr), is by Shirley Tillotson the Dalhousie University historian, now emeritus, author of among much else Give and Take, her prize-winning book of tax history as political history. 

The essay covers a lot of ground, including a lot of reflections on historical practice, but two things particularly resonated for me. One is the way she opens the essay: "I have always wanted my work to be useful. I’m an earnest sort."

The other is a perhaps minor theme, but one that recurs throughout: her mixed feelings about pursuing an academic career at all. (We learn here she did have a career in typesetting and graphic design production for a decade or so.)

Although I have chosen not to catalogue here the frustrations of my working life, I will just say that systemic factors in the institution have often meant, in my view, that I could not give students the education that I would have liked, at a price that would have felt fair. The remedies I could see to the negative sides of life in the university were mainly individual ones.... My early retirement reflected my never-entirely-absent ambivalence about universities.
 
Follow @CmedMoore