Thursday, November 06, 2008

The Hazzard Letters

A bit to my surprise, I'm getting hooked on the Hazzard letters in the Globe & Mail. David Hazzard, a Canadian soldier in the 1940s, wrote almost daily letters from Europe to his wife in Canada, and the newspaper is publishing long verbatim extracts over these pre-Remembrance Day weeks. Many of them are thoughful, inventive, informative, and "felt." This guy could write. (I recently discovered Hazzard is the grandparent of someone I know, but I was already reading them by then.)

So far he's been in Britain and in training, but bad times are looming. I hope he's going to be okay.

Late update: I've since read that the Hazzard letters will run until December 20, not November 11. And the comprehensive package of Hazzard material can be found in a "Dear Sweetheart" section of the Globe's website.
 
Follow @CmedMoore