History (mostly Canadian), a little politics (ditto), and [MAYBE] the Tour de France in July.
Wednesday, May 22, 2019
This Month at Canada's History
My subscription copy of Canada's History arrived today. For the first time in about 25 years, I don't have a column or article. But I'm still there. Look at the masthead when your copy arrives, and you will find I appear as "Contributing Editor."
Editor Mark Reid has been tweaking the magazine format, as editors should. He proposed recently that instead of a 600-word column in every issue, I switch over to writing substantial features, a couple of thousand words or more. I was ready for that switch, and indeed my first feature is already submitted. I'll have features frequently, but not in every issue.
At most magazines, "contributing" editors are non-staff writers who contribute material regularly, and are also available to consult as needed on future issues, contributors, topics, and so on. Since I've been doing that informally, I thought I might as well claim some real estate on the masthead as well.
Meanwhile, June-July at Canada's History has much on D-Day for the 75th anniversary. Plus Mariana Valverde on Canada's start on legislating an end to LGBTQ discrimination. More exploration of the statues-and-monuments controversy. The annual summer history reading suggestions. And much more, in the mag itself (Subscribe!) and at the website.
