Wednesday, May 25, 2016

History and the Hip



Must have been a generational mismatch or something, but I never was too close a follower of the Tragically Hip. Never saw them play, which seems to have been the key. Confession: I have tended to associate them with the Superman Song of the Crash Test Dummies, and somehow never really associated them with "Ahead by a Century.") If you were more connected that I was, I'm sorry for your (impending) loss

True thing: the Canadian historical content in their lyrics is remarkable; move over Gordon Lightfoot and Stompin' Tom. Millhaven, Milgaard, Bobcaygeon (even I know that lyric), Bill Barilko, the '72 Series, the Horseshoe Tavern, and no end of small town placename-checking.  Here's one list of "most Canadian" lyrics, and an essentials playlist from CBC Music.

Image: cbc.ca





 
Follow @CmedMoore