Monday, February 14, 2011

A Safe Haven:The Story of the Black Settlers of Oxford County

Every year along with black history month comes my need to put a plug in for a book from my hometown area. The book, by amateur history Joyce Pettigrew, is a fascinating account of Black history in Oxford County, Ontario. I would strongly encourage other scholars to follow up on Mrs. Pettigrew's work as there is very much enthusiasm among the local historical societies at the present time to recover this history and work towards restoring the site of a former African Methodist Episcopal cemetery and church site near Otterville, Ontario.


Pettigrew, Joyce. A Safe Haven:The Story of the Black Settlers of Oxford County. South Norwich Historical Society, 2006.

A summary of the book and information on how to obtain it can be found here. I treasure my copy.

Happy reading,
Jordan
 
Follow @CmedMoore