Monday, December 10, 2007

Ethics in reviewing and judging

Bookninja notes an American survey on ethics in book reviewing. About 70% of respondents say you should not review a book if you are in its acknowledgments pages. Ninja thinks such precepts need to be widely circulated.

I heard the other day a little, ah, murmur about how one of the people warmly thanked in the effusive acknowledgments pages of Karolyn Smardz Frost's I've Got a Home in Glory Land is also one of the jurors who awarded her the G-G in non-fiction last month. Now that I'm reading the book, I'm quite happy with it being the winner. But knowing that the Canada Council recently removed writer Sarah Ellis from a GG Children's Literature jury because she reviews children's lit professionally (including some nominated titles), I do see the problem.
 
Follow @CmedMoore