Monday, November 25, 2019

Is DNA travel a thing?


Royal Mile, Edinburgh:  ancestors hereabouts too.
I was intrigued by a recent email from a travel company promoting 'DNA travel'.  "Insight Guides declares DNA travel to be the next big thing." Got to exotic places, meet interesting people, and .. collect their spit for DNA testing?

Not exactly.  The link I was sent to was pretty standard explore-your-roots travel promotion, actually, particularly intended for North Americans of European ancestry. Having not long ago been photographed standing by my great-grandfather's County Galway gravestone, I can't say I'm immune to the appeal.  The "DNA" labelling must be  a sign of how digital genealogy and family DNA testing have become a large part of the 21st century's sense of the past.

 
Follow @CmedMoore