Tuesday, November 19, 2013

I'm so sorry, I couldn't resist more Rob Ford...sort of

Greetings and salutations fellow history geeks,

I just can't escape Rob Ford...and neither can Queen's-McGill Press, who just published a biography of Rob Ford...Canada's ambassador to the Soviet Union in the 1970's. I had to smile when I read on the book's webpage...

"We’ve seen a huge boost in traffic to our website this past week. Our most visited page, by a landslide, is The Constant Diplomat: Robert Ford in Moscow, Charles A. Ruud’s biography of a renowned Canadian figure named…Robert Ford."


Geoffrey A.H. Pearson, 1980,
shortly before taking the post of
Canadian ambassador to the USSR.



It reminded me that Ford's predecessor after 1980, Geoffrey Pearson, has most of his papers available for research at Carleton University Archives and has an unpublished memoir. Pearson also wrote an account of his father's foreign policy between 1948-1957, which covers Suez. I'm not sure what's available in the papers but there is some material connecting Ford and Pearson. 

Cheers, 

Jordan


 
Follow @CmedMoore