Friday, June 10, 2011

How the Fenians made Canada?

"How the dreams of Irish independance made Canada become the nation it is today"? Maybe by reinforcing loyalist Anti-American paranoia? (Not that that's a bad thing.) The history of the Fenian raids is sadly under researched. But no longer under re-enacted, apparently.

Fenian Raids at Old Fort Erie This Weekend

Fort Erie, ON – The Niagara Parks Commission (NPC) is pleased to announce the return of the Fenian Raids of Old Fort Erie on June 11 & 12. Daily battle re-enactments of the
 last invasion into Canada will take place, featuring the Fenian soldiers, whose dreams of Irish independence instead helped Canada become the nation it is today.

Weekend Schedule of Events
Saturday, June 11
1:00 p.m. Opening Ceremony
1:30 p.m. Afternoon Battle
8:30 p.m. Evening Battle, followed by Ghost Tours of Old Fort Erie

Sunday, June 12
1:30 p.m. Afternoon Battle

On June 1, 1866, Irish veterans of the U.S. Civil War, under the newly formed flag of the Irish Republican Army, crossed the border into Niagara. This armed
 incursion into “Canada West” (Ontario) was expected to force the British into freeing Ireland. After two days of fighting in the Fort Erie area with Canadian
 militia units, the Fenians, as they were known, retreated to the Old Fort, where they were captured attempting to return to the United States. This invasion into Canada spurred efforts for Confederation in order to protect Canadian sovereignty. On June 2, 1866, the invasion came to a head at The Battle of Ridgeway.

Entrance to Old Fort Erie includes day programs or evening lantern tours. Battles are FREE. Adults (13 and over) $9.00, Children (6 – 12 years old) $6.00
(prices in Canadian dollars), Children under 5 are free. Parking during construction is located in front of the Fort at 350 Lakeshore Road, Fort Erie, Ontario.
Old Fort Erie is approximately 30 kilometres (19 miles) or a scenic 20-minute drive south of Niagara Falls and is close to the Peace Bridge from Buffalo, New York.
The grounds and the main floor rooms of the buildings are wheelchair accessible. The grand opening of the new Welcome Centre will take place on July 1. For information,
 please call (905) 871-0540.

Old Fort Erie is owned by The Niagara Parks Commission, an agency of the Government of Ontario. It is NPC’s mission to protect the natural and cultural heritage along the
Niagara River for the enjoyment of visitors while remaining financially self-sufficient.

Follow @CmedMoore