Saturday, February 20, 2010

Veterans' Commemoration Day

Last year I was in Vancouver for a Dominion Institute event. When it ended, I headed home but the indefatigable DI warriors Marc and Jeremy jumped in a rental car for the (longer than they thought) drive to Spokane, Washington, to pay their respects to John Babcock, then the last surviving Canadian veteran of the First World War, who had been a supporter of and donor to their Memory Project initiatives. When I heard of Mr Babcock's death last week, I felt I was at one (or is that two) degrees of separation from him

John Babcock and his family having declined the proposal of a state funeral, his bereaved friends at the Historica-Dominion Institute are advocating a national day of commemoration for all who served in that war. Their Facebook campaign page is here.
 
Follow @CmedMoore