Monday, November 02, 2009

History of the pay-wall

I take an interest in the English revolution of 1688. I admire the writing of Bernard Bailyn. The New York Review of Books offers good work on history and much else. So when I find a link to a new NYRev essay by Bailyn on 1688, I'm there.

Except I ain't.

What's on offer is only the first paragraph, followed by an invitation to purchase. NYRev has decided what interests me must be primo material, chargeable.

Now that one-paragraph tease thing has happened to me before, but this time it felt like a short history of the future. Despite some familiarity with Cory Doctorow and Michael Geist and John Perry Barlow and all, I've never been convinced there really is a rational basis for magazines simply to give away all their work to anyone with and internet connection. And maybe they are starting to stop.

Hey, it was fun while it lasted. (Do I hear someone saying, "Take out a subscription, you cheap bastard.")
 
Follow @CmedMoore