Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Headbanger history

The Guardian looks into the long, slow decline of the serious non-fiction book. It's a well-made story with lots of effective interviews and quotations from people who otta know:
Among those who write, publish and sell serious non-fiction - the biographies, histories, travel and science books researched and written with a degree of subtlety for a general audience - the bad news seems to have been building up since long before the current recession.
But I think for Canadian writers in this situation, it's always been this way. It's true that I am sometimes grimly aware of all the books I might write that I simply cannot afford to. But then I reflect there are still 99 books I want to read for every one I get around to.

For me this was the laugh-out-loud quote:
Between about 2003 and 2006, a lot of agents and publishers thought history was the new rock'n'roll.
... but I like it, like it, yes I do.
 
Follow @CmedMoore