Wednesday, October 08, 2008

British Columbia 150 in The Beaver



My copy of the October-November Beaver just arrived, with a notable Remembrance-Day feature with contributions by Tim Cook, Michael Bliss and others. My own story this issue looks at the 150th anniversary celebrations in British Columbia, with the observations of Jean Barman and Mia Reimers, and one of my memories (gulp) of how we did up the 100th anniversary:

When I was a kid, I had a tin box. It was tall and deep, with a hinged lid and bright, coloured images of a cartoon figure called Century Sam all over it. The logo said “British Columbia: A Century to Celebrate 1858-1958.” When it was new, the box had been filled with toffees.

I was not very old in 1958. It is my memory that I got my Century Sam tin box from Willow Point Public School, up the lake from Nelson in the Kootenays of B.C. To celebrate B.C.’s centennial, the province was distributing candy to schoolchildren.

Could that have happened? What Department of Education would give kids boxes of candy?

Should be on the newstands already, but then we subscribe anyway, don't we?
 
Follow @CmedMoore